Many AutoCAD users have a confusion about the use of freeze (LAYFRZ) and turning a layer off (LAYOFF). While both commands have the basic function of making a layer invisible, there are certain differences between the two.
Turning a layer off (LAYOFF)
- Objects in the turned-off layers are still selectable using commands such as SELECTALL.
- REGEN command regenerates all objects including the objects in turned off layers.
- Zoom extents considers turned off objects as a part of the drawing.
Layer Freeze (LAYFRZ)
- This command completely turns off the layer. Layer is not selectable.
- Frozen layer does not have any effect on REGEN command.
- Zoom extents does not recognize frozen layers as a part of the drawing.